Life is a bit crazy at the moment so my post is a bit of a speedy list of ideas for you! I haven’t had much time to do lots of writing recently…and I am really missing it!!! However, I know a lot of people do not share this feeling about writing and struggle to enjoy any form of writing, let alone coming up with constant ideas for content.
So, when you are feeling fresh out of inspiration, below are some things that you might want to blog about, post about on social media or stick in a newsletter.
- Write about yourself – When was the last time you did that? Think about your passions; why you run your business; who you like working with; what makes you tick or what has happened recently that was a bit out of the ordinary? These things always make an interesting blog post or update to an ‘about me’ webpage.
- Talk about suppliers, clients or customers – who do you work with? You don’t necessarily have to name names but talk about who helps your business and why you like collaborating with them.
- Share links or posts from businesses, people of interest or, even, clients – social media and online communication is all about engagement and building networks.
- Share a photo of something funny, beautiful or, if you dare, controversial – I have spoken to so many people who have told me that the pic of their cat, some ducks or an onion that looked like it had a paw print in it(!) got the most likes, the most engagement and furthest reach of any post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Try and make the photo relevant to your business, but some times it is nice to add a little ‘light relief’ to your content and you might be amazed at how many people are then talking about you and “that post”.
- What day is it? – Don’t forget to keep an eye out for ‘National Days’ or ‘National weeks’ – simply google it and something will come up! Also, think about days personal to your business – when is your start up anniversary, for example?
- Research something new and share – in all industries, there are always new things happening. If you google your profession and click on the news tab you may well find out about the latest innovations or research. Or take a look at your professional body, associations or institutes, I bet you’ll instantly find an article or two of interest. Simply share links to what you find interesting or read up about something and tell people about it – write your own piece, be critical and give your opinion.
- Forget writing – what other content could you quickly produce? Get your smartphone out and do a quick video telling people your latest news. Consider doing a Facebook Live session – social media posts just advertising it will add to your content! Whilst you have your phone out, take some shots of your office, your products or latest creations – create a quick collage and discuss that.
- Come up with a series – a series for a blog, a section of your website or a newsletter is great way to create regular content and help you come up with a stream of ideas. For example, have a spotlight series on your staff or suppliers; do a ‘product or service of the month’; offer ‘Tips on a Tuesday’ (or whatever day suits)…I am sure you can think of something.
- Regular content at regular times – a bit like having a series, if you create a ‘template’ for content, then it can feel much easier to fill. It doesn’t have to be for each week day but perhaps at the start of each month decide you are going to create a video or find one to share from You Tube or wherever. At the end of each month, tweak the homepage of your website. Add something new. Or at the end of each quarter, decide you are going to do a ‘round up’ type blog or newsletter about the things you have been up to?
So, that’s a few ideas for now! If you can think of anything else – comment below.
I would love to hear from you…and I can help with any of the above.
Image credit: Bokeh Light by Piccia Neri